Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Chateau de Foix


I know, the chateau thing was from August. But recently on By Castle and River, I did a couple of posts of the Pyrenees Mountains, so I thought that it would be cool to do a post on a castle in that aria. Now there are several, so I'll just do the first one that I found.



The Château de Foix is located in the town of Foix in the French département of Ariège. It was built on an older 7th century fortification, but the present building was built in 1000. In 1002, it was mentioned in the will of Roger I, Count of Carcassonne, who bequeathed the fortress to his youngest child, Bernard. In effect, the family ruling over the region were installed here which allowed them to control access to the upper Ariège valley and to keep surveillance from this strategic point over the lower land, protected behind impregnable walls.


You can read more about it at:

http://www.ariege.com/chateaudefoix/info.html



Well, it is actually a very interesting place, but my brain feels like it is turning into fuzzy mush, and I really can't concentrate, lousy excuse, I know. But it is just one of those days that I would rather spend reading about Marvel Comics characters (You never new, did you.) or anything but castles.


Besides, I've got pictures. And pictures are, almost, always better than words. And also...




El castels es tant fortz qu’el mezis se defent.
“The castle is so strong it can defend itself”

Need more be said?


I didn't think so.

God daeg.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow!! A castle with that backdrop doesn't need an interesting history!! It's great just to look at it standing against the mountains! :)

~ A.K. ~

Julie said...

Aw! Thanks, ~A.K.~! You make feel better! :)